Kua Kling (Beef)

Here's the spot for recipes, great restaurants, food and wine matches ... anything related to the enjoyment of good wine and food.

Kua Kling (Beef)

Postby Red Bigot » Thu Aug 30, 2007 11:42 pm

I tried this tonight, it's one of our favourite dishes in Thailand, but never seen in Thai restaurants in Australia. It's a southern Thai specialty and there are numerous variations. As far as I can tell this is the only English version of the recipe on the net, I had to get a Thai friend to find one and translate it. Here is my annotated version, with pictures, it's pretty spicy, but very fragrant and interesting.

http://redbigot.info/Recipes/KhuaKling.htm
Cheers
Brian
Life's too short to drink white wine and red wine is better for you too! :-)
Red Bigot

Postby GRB » Fri Aug 31, 2007 11:02 am

Hi Brian,

Sounds good, how hot a the Thai chillies on the 1-10 scale? 50 is a lot even without seeds, the small chillies we have 5 would be enough to kill the average human and we like our food pretty hot as well.

Thanks

Glen
Winner of the inaugural RB cork-count competition
Runner up RB-NTDIR competition
Runner up TORB TN competition
Leave of absence second RB c-c competition
GRB

Postby Red Bigot » Fri Aug 31, 2007 12:31 pm

Glen, the chillis I used are not the hottest type, thin, 2-3 cm long (Grand Continental brand), you lose a bit getting the seeds out and they aren't as hot as the Italian tiny pepperoncino chillis. You could also use the bigger, milder ones as well/instead. I did add about 7 small fresh/frozen chillis from my garden last season as well. It was just right for three of the 6 people eating it, and copious amounts of water and/or milk were consumed by the others. There were other dishes as well - a Thai-style beef salad (deliberately without much chilli though) and stir-fried vegetables with soy and oyster sauce.

A really hot curry breaks out a good sweat on the top of my head, this one produced a mild sheen. One person did mention "still bleeding under the eyes" 10 minutes later though. :-)

I cooked this on the BBQ wok-burner outside, I was sneezing a bit when the wind was blowing in the wrong direction. ;-) If cooking inside, set the exhaust fan on max.

The red-drinkers drank a Willespie MR Shiraz 99 and a Small Gully Barossa Shiraz 2001 (an ex-Wine Orb auction buy and great value at $11) with the food, both a good match.
Cheers
Brian
Life's too short to drink white wine and red wine is better for you too! :-)
Red Bigot

Return to Food & Wine