Wynns BL, Kangarilla, Steingarten, Epis et al

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter

Wynns BL, Kangarilla, Steingarten, Epis et al

Postby Wayno » Wed Jan 24, 2007 7:50 am

Kangarilla Road Chardonnay 2004
Bright and clear pale gold. Nice fresh nose, balanced and crisp direct varietal nose, with aromas of melons, lemons, honey and even a sprightly note of apricot. Good, flavoursome palate with pleasing textural mouthfeel, lots of fruit sweetness and reasonable finish, perhaps a slight alcoholic bitterness at the end but very minor. Good, honest wine and would pair well with compatible foods. Lacks the sparkle and wow-factor of some of it’s shelf-mates but worth a hearty quaff at worst.

Yarra Burn Chardonnay 2004
Oak, some fruit, oak. Heavy handed and a touch salty. Average.

Wynns BL Cabernet Sauvignong 2001
Subtle and sweet Coonawarra menthol nose, fresh and lifted palate with lovely rounded, smooth entry. I was pleasingly surprised by this given the generally mixed notes of this particular vintage. Still quite a good deal of time left to leave it for but drinking very well now. So much so, I'm tempted to finish another couple over next little while.

Orlando Lawsons 2000 Shiraz
An exact same bottle to the last, choc-mint with a vaguely rustic finish and sprigs of berries in the mix. Deliciousm fresh and lifted with the mint ever so slightly cleansing the palate. Distinctive.

Steingarten 2002 Riesling
The 2003, despite a glowing appraisal by JO seems to have copped some criticism on this and other forums - particularly in regards to it's maturation and longevity (or alleged lack thereof). Not so with this wine, still a-zing with lemon and lime and just a svelte touch of secondary development, vaguely honeyed. For an 02 this wine is in excellent shape and will continue for at least five sturdy years and maybe some more. Finished virtually the whole bottle and felt like more after. Excellent.

D'Arrys Original Shiraz Grenache 04
Pleasing perfumed nose, aloft with berries and spice. Solid palate that delivered with plenty of fruit sweetness. We had an 01 at the same time which was a touch corked but regardless, I think I would rather drink this young than older.

Epis Pinot Noir 2004
Very complex palate - and a heavy duty wine, no doubt but I can't say I enjoyed this as much as the last bottle. Last time it reminded me of a Merlot or similarly dry red but in a good way. This time likewise but in not such a good way. I think this could benefit from a couple of years to loosen up a bit. Maybe.
Cheers
Wayno

Give me the luxuries of life and I will willingly do without the necessities.
Wayno

Return to All About Wine