Larmandier-Bernier Rosé de Saignée Brut 1er cru NV
– aromatic, quite punchy, fresh acid and plenty of body with subtle red fruit flavours. Very good.
Rockford Black Shiraz (Disg 2006)
– nice and fresh, plenty of plummy fruit and chocolate tones
1997 Grosset Polish Hill Riesling
– sensational. No kero but honeyed fruit and notes of toast and preserved lemons and grapefruit. A wine at or approaching its peak.
2000 Mt Mary Pinot Noir
– close to the best Aus Pinot that I have enjoyed. Excellent bottle which showed a fine structure of tannins and fresh acid and a silky mouhtfeel. Classic notes of sour cherry and forest fruits with a hint of mushroom and undergrowth. Great poise and balance.
1992 Wendouree Malbec
– deep, brooding wine. Lots of dark fruit and touches of mint and eucalypt.
1997 Wynns John Riddoch Cab Sav
– a little tannic and herbal. Maybe needs more time?
2003 Chateau Rieussec Sauternes
– rich, forward style. Lots of delicious sweet fruit upfront with notes of marmalade and toffee. Very rich for Sauternes.
Rockford Black Shiraz (Disg 2005)
– nice balance between rich fruit and hints of leather and earht
Rockford Black Shiraz (Disg 2007)
– too young, needs time to settle, but enjoyable nonetheless.
2002 Orlando Steingarten Riesling
– very good, limes, honey and a real mineraly finish. Needs more time to develop.
2004 Voyager Estate Chardonnay
– great depth of peach like fruit with notes of nuts and vanilla. Good length and freshness.
1998 Penfolds St Henri Shiraz
– excellent. Rich, generous yet balanced.
1998 Rockford Basket Press Shiraz
– excellent. Very different in style to the Rockford but they could not be split for quality of fruit.
2000 Houghton Jack Mann Cab Sav
– goo but needs time. Still tannic and unyielding
Lanson Black Label NV
– good as usual.
Nicolas Feuillatte NV
– not as fine as the Lanson but still quite good.
1998 St Hallets Old Block Shiraz
– in the slot to drink now. Superb sweet fruit nose and smooth, balanced palate of typical Barossa plums and berries.
2002 Rockford Basket Press Shiraz
– wow. Step up after the Old Block. This wine is starting to come together.
1999 Peter Lehmann Stonewell Shiraz
– maybe have been slightly corked. A little flat on the night.
2002 Torbreck Steading GSM
– perfect drinking now. Lots of meaty, plummy fruit and hints of leather.
1999 Grant Burge Holy Trinity GSM
– more reserved style than the Torbreck, less meaty but with surprisingly fresh fruit for a GSM of this age.
Throw in some Trumer Pils and some Lowenbrau and I am feeling a little tired.
Premierships and great wine... that is what life is all about